Saturday, October 12, 2013

Green Tomato Salsa Verde



Here is another recipe I got from a friend.  She had lots of green tomatoes left in her garden and looked up a green tomato salsa verde recipe online and tweaked it to make it her own.  Which I in turn tweaked myself.   I have lots of banana peppers in my garden and love to add them to my salsa, so that is one thing I added that wasn't in her recipe.  The best part about having friends who preserve is that they're almost always willing to share not only their recipes, but even a jar of their accomplishment.  Becky offered me a jar to try before I made it, but I'm a brave soul and figured if she said it was good, I would like it too.  I was not disappointed.  This was wonderful and I put it on my eggs for breakfast this morning.  Equally delicious with some chips.  Vayle (my 5-year-old) tried just a small bit and decided it was delicious so she had it with some chips with her dinner.

Here's a pic of Vayle helping herself to some more.
 
 
 Green Tomato Salsa Verde
 
Ingredients:
13 pounds green tomatoes, cored and quartered
4 onions, finely chopped (I use a Pampered Chef Food Chopper)
3 green peppers, seeded and chopped finely
10 jalapenos, tops cut off and chopped finely
10 banana peppers, tops cut off and chopped finely
3 cans chopped green chilies
3 tablespoons minced garlic
6 tablespoons pickling salt
5-8 teaspoons cumin, depending on how spicy you want it
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
3 tablespoons cilantro
2-3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons sugar
 
Instructions:
After you've done all the prep work of washing, coring and chopping your veggies place them all in a stock pot.  Bring everything to a boil everything in the stock pot, except sugar, cilantro and lime juice.  After it has started boiling you can add the last three ingredients.  Simmer your mixture about 30 minutes; it will reduce quite a bit.  After you've boiled it shut off your stove-top and either puree the mixture in batches in a blender or if you have an immersion blender you can just put it directly in your pot.  Everything in my pot was too deep for my immersion blender to reach to the bottom, but if you make a smaller batch than this, it should be fine.
Fill your pint jars to about a 1/4 inch headspace, clean rims and place boiled seals over top and a ring.  Process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.  I used the oven method and preheated my oven to 350 and placed all my jars inside the oven and shut off the heat to leave the jars inside for a few hours to seal.
 
This batch made almost 14 pints.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment