Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Creamy Italian Chicken Tomato Stew




The other day I was craving something tomatoey and something chickeney.  I know - those aren't words - but you know what I mean!  So I was surfing Pinterest on my paleo food board and found this recipe for a creamy chicken tomato soup.  However, it was the afternoon and I didn't have time for a crockpot meal, so I re-vamped it a bit and made my own one pot stew that everyone enjoyed!  It has a wonderfully creamy herbed flavor and if you have kids that don't like tomatoes, try this, they just might enjoy it.  I know mine did!  If you want a slow cooker meal, put it in your crock pot on low for probably 7-8 hours, shredding an hour before you serve, or whenever the breasts are tender enough to shred.  You can brown your chicken breasts ahead of time, but I usually just throw mine in frozen.
This is a paleo & clean eating option
Creamy Italian Chicken Tomato Stew

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons basil
1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk
2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock (read your labels - make sure there are no additives!!)
sprinkling of cracked pepper if you like

Instructions:
Sear the chicken breasts on each side in olive oil.  You can use the same pot as the one you will use for the stew.  After each piece is seared remove from pan and dispose of the drippings.  Put all ingredients in the pot and bring to a boil.  Simmer about an hour then remove chicken and shred with a fork.  Add chicken back to stew and simmer another 20 minutes or so.  ENJOY!!

Nutrition facts based on 5 servings.
Each servings contains:  Calories - 548, Fat - 18.81g, Sat Fat - 13.8g, Cholesterol - 78mg, Sodium - 734g, Carbs - 11.05g, Fiber 2.8g, Sugar 5.2g, Protein - 32.43g
 

No comments:

Post a Comment