Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Molly Weasley's Meatballs with Onion Sauce



Day 2 of my Harry Potter recipe-a-day for October. 
I got this recipe from my Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook by Dinah Bucholz

I will probably be getting quite a few recipes from this cookbook.  I like how she puts a little piece about what part of the book the food is mentioned in.  Yesterday I started re-reading the books so I can write down each page and chapter I find that mentions food in the books so this.  This particular food comes in Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix.  Mr. Weasley and Kingsley Shacklebolt run into each other when Mr. Weasley is bringing Harry to his hearing at the Ministry of Magic.  They pretend to just be business associates until they appeared to be finished and Mr. Weasley lowers his voice to Shacklebolt and says "If you can get away before seven, Molly's making meatballs."  Chapter 7 page 132.
So last night I made these meatballs for supper and everybody enjoyed it.  I had made cheesy baked squash along with it and the onion sauce was good over that also.  I was quite pleased with the recipe.  I'll make it again!


Molly Weasley's Meatballs with Onion Sauce

Ingredients:
Meatballs:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons dried parsley (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
heaping 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons olive oil

Onion Sauce:
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons flour
14 ounces water
2 teaspoons chicken base
(can use a 14-ounce can chicken broth instead of water and chicken base)

Instructions:
Combine meatball ingredients except olive oil and shape into 1 1/2 inch balls.  Heat oil in skillet and working in batches fry all meatballs turning over after about 4 minutes.  Remove meatballs from skillet.  Onion sauce is made in the meatball skillet.  I didn't empty out the grease from it because I wanted the flavor but added about another tablespoon of olive oil and heated that up.  Add onions and saute until soft and golden, stirring occasionally.  Add flour and stir to combine.  Add water and chicken broth, stirring constantly, bring to a boil and thicken.  Put meatballs back into skillet and simmer over low heat about 15 minutes.  Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles.

It's a meal fit for a Weasley!!


No comments:

Post a Comment