Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Butterbeer Cake



So I've been in a slump, if you will.  A slump that has taken me out of my kitchen for quite some time.  Bored with the same old things I have been making and not motivated to get back into trying new things.  So yesterday - October 1st - I was watching Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix and it was at one of the many scenes where the students are eating and all that fantastic looking food was on the table.  I thought, hm, how fun would that be if I made something 'Harry Potter' for supper tonight.  Then I went beyond that and thought, hm, maybe I could make something 'Harry Potter-esque' for the month of October!  It was the kick in the pants - so to speak - that I needed to get back into the kitchen.  I had seen a few recipes on pinterest for Butterbeer Cupcakes and decided I would try a Butterbeer Cake!  So - I did!  It turned out quite tasty.  I actually only had one bite of the finished cake (my husband's piece), but I tasted the batter, frosting & cake crumbs from the pan and knew it would be good.  Chris had the first piece and after he said it was 'Not a bad cake!'  In other words - I had permission to make it again - which means he thought it was good!  So - I think I have rambled on long enough.  Here's the cake!

Butterbeer Cake

Ingredients:
Cake:
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon butter & nut extract*
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cream soda
Frosting:
1 stick butter, softened
1/3 cup butterscotch topping (I used Mrs. Richardson's)
1 tablespoon cream soda (may need to add more while mixing so it stays the consistency you want)
1 pound powdered sugar

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350, grease and flour 2 8-inch round cake pans - be sure to grease and flour or the cake will stick.  Combine dry cake ingredients.  Cream butter and sugars, add eggs.  Then add extract, milk and soda.  Add flour/baking soda and combine.  Pour into your 2 prepared 8-inch round cake pans evenly.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.  In my oven 27 minutes exactly was perfect.  Let cool in the cake pans for a few minutes then remove to wire racks.
After cakes have cooled, blend frosting ingredients well in a smaller bowl.  Place one layer on a plate and top with a layer of frosting.  Add second cake layer and spread frosting over top and sides.  Drizzle with a bit more butterscotch topping.  ENJOY!!

*I found McCormick's Butter & Nut extract online.  I have not been able to find it in the stores.  You can use regular vanilla exract if you would like or you could combine butter extract (which I have found easily) and I believe I have seen a nut extract to make the 1 teaspoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment