Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hummus

Pin It
This was Oh-Em-Gee good.  I haven't ever had the original Sabra Hummus - I have only tried the Roasted Red Pepper Sabra Hummus and I LOVE it.  I tried one Hummus recipe from a cookbook I had and it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was going to be.  I have read that one of the secrets is to actually put the garbanzo bean juice in with the mixture.  I found this recipe online stating it's supposed to be a 'copy' of the orignal Hummus by Sabra.  I was sooooo happy with the results.  This will forever be my base for hummus now.  Next time I'm going to throw either some roasted red peppers or sun dried tomatoes in with it.  I bet it will taste fantastic.  It's not as smooth as Sabra.  Maybe they remove the shells from the beans before they mix it in the food processor.  Doesn't really matter to me because it tastes good anyways.  Get yourself some preztel crisps or cut up veggies and DIG IN!!  I couldn't even wait for it to chill!!  Ava even gave me the thumbs up for this batch.


Hummus

Ingredients:
1 16-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), strained
1/2 cup liquid from garbanzo beans (you can use slightly less than this if you want it a bit thicker)
3 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon citric acid - like Fruit Fresh
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (you can use black pepper too - that's all I had)

Instructions:
Drain the garbanzo beans into a 1/2 cup measuring cup and throw out the rest of the liquid.  Pour the 1/2 up liquid and beans into a food processor.  Add all the remaning ingredients and let your food processor run for about 10 minutes then put in a covered container in refrigerator and chill.  Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment