Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Granola




I'm a big fan of granola.  I was going to send my hubby to the grocery store (he was going to town anyways) to get me some, but instead I decided to make my own and he only had to pick up one ingredient that I didn't happen to have on hand.  This is so easy to make and WAY cheaper than buying a bag/box in the store.  I can't wait to sprinkle it on my vanilla Chobani for a snack later! 




Homemade Granola

Ingredients:
3 cups regular oats, uncooked
1/2 cup flaked coconut (I didn't put this in mine, but if you like it - go for it!)
1/2 cup sliced almonds or chopped pecans
1/4 cup regular or honey-crunch wheat germ
1/4 cup sunflower kernels
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup raisins (optional)

Instructions:
In a large bowl combine first 5 ingredients and set aside.  In another bowl combine honey and next 5 ingredients, pour over oat mixture and stir well.  Spread mixture evenly on a lightly greased 15x10-inch jellyroll pan.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden stirring every 5 minutes to maintain even baking.  Cool then stir in raisins and store in an airtight container for up to 2 months.

Per 1/2 cup serving: Calories - 275, Fat - 12.1g, Cholesterol - 0mg, Sodium - 69mg

No comments:

Post a Comment